Thursday, February 14, 2013

Using a board as a transom

So I really liked the idea of having 100% of the plywood being 100% of the hull, and then I thought "Hey, a 1x12 would make a perfect transom". When I drew it out, it looked even more like a boat. The use of a board means you can clamp a trolling motor to it without re-inforcement. It also allows the scaling of the boat into two and three sheets creating a 13'6" fishing boat and a 16' runabout with only three sheets. They all look exactly the same, here is the 2 sheet drawing:

All of a sudden I wanted to bypass building the one sheet version and go straight to building the more usefull 2 sheet version that uses 12" and 24" panels instead of the 8" and 16" panels of the 1 sheet model. Things got a little more complicated, I figure I have a small trailer and two layers of 3/4" plywood would make a good transom, etc. etc. I liked the idea of being able to take a few people on the water even if the logictics were getting more complicated. Then I thought "what would the yield be if you used 16" and 32" panels and make a 3 sheet boat?" It yields and almost passable for normal 16' runabout!
 
 Everything seemed to fall in place. 1/4" ply for the one sheet. 3/8" for the two sheet and 1/2" ply for the three sheet. The logistics got even more complicated for the 16' boat, including the addition of a sole, bigger trailer, etc. I filed that away to dream about only. Back to the one sheet design. I think my boy's batman action figure will get a ride in a 1 sheet skiff in the next few days.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment