Friday, February 15, 2013

Rounding corners. Freehand or exact?

So my philosophy with building stuff is shoot for 100%, settle for something less. Inevitably, as hard as I try there are errors and mistakes. So I try to cover all my bases and hopefully even with the errors, I end up with a 90% or better job. I have plowed through projects on the fly and have had to take it apart, adopt wierd changes or perform difficult cuts while something is already installed.

Rounding off of the corners was the next issue I was presented with when I was going to draw it out to get cut by a computer. In the past you measure 12" in each direction and approximate a curve. I figured the curves would mate best if I could make specific arcs for each angle. Picture throwing a circle down that touches the edges at 12" from each side of the angle.

Everything went back to the solving for X problem, but I figured 2.5" was close enough and made the following calculations:

Armed with my angles, I can figure for the radius of an arc that intersects at 12" from the angle.
Now it's time to find some string and tie a pencil to it to draw an arc. I can then cut it out and have a template to draw for each specific angle. The very shallow angle that has a radius of 461" only cuts into the corner 1/4" and I'm not sure if that's worth drawing out. The next shallowest angle cuts in about 1/2" and the sharpest angle cuts in 7/8" from the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment